The Blanchard Bunch

The Blanchard Bunch

Saturday, January 14, 2012

You Are Here

Todd got the Netflix streamer up and running today. The hobbits started out watching the original Hello Kitty cartoon series from 1987 and then moved on to “The Princess and the Pony.” They are so excited that they can choose special programs just for them and watch them on the big TV with Daddy.

The big kids and adults will also have their choice of movies and TV shows to watch, but the little girls get to enjoy the luxury first. Very rarely do they get to do things first because they are so young, so this is a special treat for them. Once they’re in bed, I’m sure Bones, Law and Order, and horror movies galore will reign. For now, however, it’s all about princesses and ponies.

Sissy is doing much better. After 4 days in the hospital and an upper and lower GI scope, we finally got a diagnosis. She has a H. Pylori bacterial infection. It’s a nasty little bugger that causes all kinds of terrible problems. She’s been on antibiotics for about a week now, and while they come with their own set of issues, we’re confident they will work and she will soon be pain and bacteria free. Thankfully, she’s been able to eat a bit more lately. There’s still some nausea on occasion, but so far she’s been able to handle it. She’s dealing with this whole mess like a champ, and I’m very proud of her for that.

She and I came home from the hospital with a nasty cold. It was more of a flu-like virus that kicked our butts. She seemed to get over it a lot faster than I did and I’m grateful for that. I’ve still got a cough because of the congestion, but I’m feeling tons better. I’m pretty sure Derrick, Chris and Chelsea caught it from us, too. Chris bounced right back after a couple of days, but Chelsea and Derrick have been fighting it for over a week now.

Derrick is also dealing with a burn on his arm from where he tripped over clothes in the kitchen floor and spilled the boiling water for his soup all over. That was not a text I was expecting at 12:30 am while sitting in Sissy’s hospital room. I had him send me a picture and his arm was definitely red. Lots of cold water and a couple of hours later, most of it had faded away. There was one spot that blistered up, again not a text and picture I was expecting, but he did a great job of keeping it cool and covered and it’s healing up nicely.

Amanda also caught the virus from Sissy and me, but she decided to one-up us and has been running a fever with it almost the whole time. The highest was 102, but she averages about 101. She missed three days of school last week because of it and still feels like crud today. She wants to go clothes shopping tomorrow for the Military Ball on the 27th, but we’ll have to see how she’s feeling in the morning before we make that decision. I am not taking a contagious, grumpy child out into the world if I can help it! Especially since it’s a bit early for the shops to have formals on the racks and that’s what she needs for the Ball; we’ll have to traipse all over Knoxville to find one, I’m sure. Having both of us in top form would be a huge help! Yes, I will post pictures once we find “the one.”

Todd got most of the guttering up last weekend and was going to finish it today, but it was way too cold. He tried his best, but that icy wind was just too much. Not one to sit and do nothing, he got lots of things in place for our electronics and had a great day with the hobbits. He even found time to go work out. I’ve been watching One Tree Hill with Sissy most of the day and writing. Writing is such a great way for me to clean out the cobwebs in my mind and get a fresh perspective on life. I definitely need to write more often. 

No comments:

Post a Comment